Subject: Re: [ppc-mobo] Re: GPL-like hardware design license?
From: "Brian J. Fox" <bfox@ua.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 21:34:14 -0700

   Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 21:05:10 -0700
   From: "John Metzger" <john_metzger@worldnet.att.net>

   > I'm out of this thread.  Nobody else is participating (thanks, Russ,
   > I'm glad you care :), so I will assume there's no interest.  John's
   > mind is closed,

   Actually I'm very open on this subject. I have asked you repeatedly to solve
   the problem I have of spending a very large amount of money to improve
   something under a GPL without a way of protecting that investment (yes, that
   means monopolizing the profits from that investment) particularly with
   hardware.

   >     John> My interest in the OpenPPC project is to see the widest
   >     John> possible adoption of PowerPC processors, in as many product
   >     John> as possible.
   >
   > This one is my bad; that is a reasonable motivation for advocating a
   > free license which I didn't include.

   Geee..... it's been the point all along. Maybe you're the one with the
   closed mind and closed ears. The point is to encourage product development
   so we've got the widest possible choice of systems (or software) to buy.

It seems to me that you have answered your own question quite handily
here.

If your modifications create product development that you don't have
to pay for, but that satifies your additional/alternate business
needs, then you will directly benefit from the competition between
those companies developing the products.

Doesn't this carry monetary value?

Brian Fox