Subject: Re: [ppc-mobo] Re: GPL-like hardware design license?
From: Ben_Tilly@trepp.com
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 08:53:16 -0400

> Ah.  Something interesting, after all.

>     Brian> If your modifications create product development that you
>     Brian> don't have to pay for, but that satifies your
>     Brian> additional/alternate business needs, then you will directly
>     Brian> benefit from the competition between those companies
>     Brian> developing the products.
>
>     Brian> Doesn't this carry monetary value?
>
> Probably not.  Assuming that my business and its competitors have
> similar needs and opportunities, cost reductions for a business due to
> decreased input prices will be matched by similar reductions for the
> competitors.  If my rivals compete on price, the cost reductions will
> simply disappear at the bottom line due to "pass-through" reductions
> in price.

Right.  And who benefits?  The customers.

Free markets are *not* in the interests of existing businesses!  If they
were then Microsoft would be in the process of being sued, would it!

Additionally this could be in your interest as well.  If you are already
in a competitive market then you can obtain a "first mover"
advantage by tracking outside development carefully.  As my prime
example I present Cygnus...

Cheers,
Ben

PS It is a common name, but Brian, are you the same Brian Fox that
I knew at Dartmouth College?