Subject: Re: [openip] Re: GNU License for Hardware
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 10:18:28 +0900 (JST)

    >> Libre, if anything like the Italian 'libero', just means free,
    >> in the sense of freedom.  Liberated means that something is now
    >> free that was not in the past, and probably that someone or
    >> something effected this change.

    William> Exactly!  Program are set to freedom.  They are not born
    William> with freedom.

Derivatives of GPLed programs are, no matter how small the genetic
contribution.

    William> If you write a Hello World program, it's
    William> by default copyrighted by you.  You set it free (expand
    William> effort) by placing it under GPL (inserting the GPL
    William> header, etc.).

Note that "liberate" carries a strong connotation of "from captivity
to others"; one who frees their own slaves is just a good person, one
who frees someone else's slaves is a hero, a "liberator".

Some of us are old enough to remember the Weather Underground, Abbie
Hoffman and "Steal This Book," and when "liberated" meant, quite
appropriately, "forcibly appropriated from the capitalist pigs."

If people agree on it, I'll use it, but it will stick in my throat.  I
want all software to be free because the descendents of the original
freed software buried the proprietary software idea (shade of
Khrushchev!), not because proprietary software was "liberated" from
its current owners.