Subject: Re: [ppc-mobo] Re: GPL-like hardware design license?
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 05:00:06 -0600 (MDT)

    I have nothing against that goal. But not at the price of loosing support
    for complex new hardware like a Firewire port that may require a proprietary
    driver mixed into the free Linux kernel (or any of the other examples I've
    given).

I guess you are more willing to sacrifice your freedom than I am.
I don't know what Firewire is, but I would not use a non-free program
to run it.

But in the long run, sacrificing our freedom is not necessary.  If we
are firm enough in standing up for freedom, we can produce or obtain
free software to do this job.  If we refuse to buy Firewire, we can
deploy market pressure and convince them to release specs.  Or some of
us can reverse-engineer the driver or the hardware and figure out how
to write a free program to do the job.

In the short run, giving up your freedom will get you more practical
capabilities.  But in the long run, willingness to sacrifice our
freedom will only leave us with less freedom.