Subject: Re: GNU License for Hardware
From: Derek Balling <dredd@megacity.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 06:31:56 -0700

>The name of this operating system is GNU.  That has been its name ever
>since we started developing it, in 1984.  I am not trying to change
>it, just to tell people what it really is.

No, Richard, that is where you are mistaken. The name of this operating
system is Linux. It is named after its kernel. That Linux makes use of a
large quantity of existing code from the GNU project is happenstance.

I fail to understand your logic, and you have yet to respond to the
hypocrisy allegations I have made against you. Do you or do you not believe
in personal freedom when it comes to GNU software? If you truly believe in
that freedom, then you must accept that people can and will take the GNU
code and incorporate it into their own projects. In doing so, there is no
requirement that they name the project after the GNU project (if you
believe they must, please point me to the relevant passage in the GPL).

If you insist that people who incorporated the GNU code into their project
name their work after the GNU product, then we have a very monumental task
ahead of us, that being divesting ourselves of the GNU project for one that
truly believes in freedom, since that requirement is completely foreign to
any type of freedom that I am aware of.