Subject: Re: Debian GNU/Linux
From: Stephen Turnbull <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 20:05:28 +0900 (JST)

    Alessandro> Everyone is talking about Linux nowadays, and many
    Alessandro> Linux-based proprietary products will soon appear in
    Alessandro> the market. To most people, "Linux" will be just like
    Alessandro> "Windows" (i.e., something that drives the computer,
    Alessandro> and you can't play with).

It already is.  Most Linux users I know have never looked at kernel
code.

What needs[1] to be done is to educate those users why source
availability benefits them, and why free software benefits them.

Footnotes:
[1]  Yes, it does; most Linux users I know do not understand why
having code they never look at be free matters.  They feel it's
important, but they don't understand.