Subject: Re: "rights" and "freedoms"
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 03:38:22 -0400

    Brian> I thought any number of food technologists have been able
    Brian> to produce a liquid which tastes like Coke, but what people
    Brian> were buying was the brand, not the taste.

| If that's not friction, what is?

Er, um, but, hmm.  People are getting entertainment from the worldview
Coke promotes, and calling that entertainment "brand".  This even
works when the connection between entertainment and vendor of product
is disprovable, such as for drugs and bitcopies.  I can see now your
point that deliberate misinformation should count as a friction.  I
suppose what I conclude is that's not a very honest way to do
business, and if we want to claim moral superiority for libre
software, we need to retain some moral superiority in our frictions.

A member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF) http://lpf.ai.mit.edu