Subject: Re: a mechanism for getting paid for support
From: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@nsb.fv.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 1995 20:01:26 -0500 (EST)

Excerpts from mail: 7-Jan-95 Re: a mechanism for getting..
ghost@aladdin.com (707)

> How is FV going to help people *find* information that might be useful to them?
> Seems to me this could be a make-or-break issue.

The short answer is that, for a properly designed open protocol, this
problem is no different than the general problem of how people find
*anything* on the Internet, whether it is free or for-pay.  Thus I
expect that the answer to this question will evolve from the set of web
crawlers and other indexing services that are proliferating on the net
these days (my current favorite is Yahoo, URL
http://akebono.stanford.edu/yahoo)  Given the fact that FV allows you to
buy things using standard Internet mechanisms such as FTP, email, and
WWW, these indices can point at for-sale information as easily as they
point at for-free information.

However, we're also allowing anyone who sells things via FV to get a
pointer from our Web pages to theirs.  At some point, if we're wildly
successful, either we'll have to change that policy or devote a lot more
resources to making those pointers coherently organized.    -- Nathaniel