Subject: RE: [openip] Re: "rights" and "freedoms"
From: Ben_Tilly@trepp.com
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 09:19:17 -0400

(Sorry for the resend, I messed up trimming the CC list the first time.)
> >So why not make a patent-tracking-and-objection group, which just
> >does this job? I'm sure it would help a lot of people and do much
> >more for the community than any other project. Richard, may be
> >the FSF is the right place for such a watch-dog group.
>
> Answer: Because there is one US software patent issued, on average,
> every 20 minutes, and it would take several days of work to find
> prior art for each one and prepare a submission.

Some it takes several seconds for...but in general you are right.
Personally I think that a good change to the system would be a
publically announced period with a large monetary reward for
anyone who can demonstrate prior art.  That would put the onus
on the company to discover prior art before risking their money,
and provide a profitable living for people who can monitor
pending submissions...

> (One per 20 minutes is about 25,000 per year which I think is
>  about the current rate. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but
>  even if it was just one patent issued a day, it would still be
>  overwhelming).

Extremely close.  Thanks to /. we can verify this:

http://www.eb-mag.com/registrd/issues/9910/1099ip.htm

(The article itself is likely to interest many here...)

Ben