Subject: Re: a mechanism for getting paid for support
From: Edward Vielmetti <emv@recepsen.aa.msen.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 1995 16:38:25 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 12 Jan 1995, E. Dean Tribble wrote:

> A couple of more things.  AMIX was tracking state taxes for people in
> different states, had automated support for contract resolution, had
> arbitration services in place to resolve disputes, didn't transmit credit
> cards over the net, etc.  FV may have some of these (though my impression
> is not many), but I worry about the security of their payment mechanism
> (and people's credit card numbers).

My reading of the Amix docs and playing with the demo-disk (btw, are
there still copies of that self-running demo around anywhere?) made it
seem as though the "conflict resolution" parts devolved into what ended
up being a fairly fascist mail program, where every piece of e-mail
through the system had to be tagged explicitly as "proposal",
"agree", "disagree", "resolution", etc. etc. and there was a complicated
state-machine you worked through to get from first contact to final offer.

--Ed

emv@msen.com