Subject: Re: Open letter to those who believe in a right to free software
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 09:24:15 +0900 (JST)

"Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote:

    Crispin> "Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote:

    Crispin> Now *this* claim would seem to be rather specific, and
    Crispin> need supporting.  Why would an all-free-software world be
    Crispin> a poor world?

    >> Because there would be less software, of lower-than-necessary
    >> quality.  This matters a lot to non-programmers.

    Crispin> I don't believe that this claim is sufficiently
    Crispin> supported, either.

It's not.  It is the considered judgement of an expert in the field
who has not yet done, let alone presented, a formal analysis.

Since you aren't in a position to evaluate my credentials, you have to
decide whether you want to believe your heart, or somebody who wishes
the world were the way you wish it were, but on the basis of his
education and experience doesn't believe it is that way.

    Crispin>   I'm not going to state categorically
    Crispin> that it is false, but I don't take it as obviously true.

It's not obviously true.

    Crispin> Naturally, my claim describing a "could be" world is VERY
    Crispin> difficult to support, so I won't bother :-)

That's my job.  That's what I plan to do, although I expect to come up
with the opposite answer to yours.  If I get the answer you expect,
then there will be joy in Mudville.

At that point, you can suggest that we start firing integrals at each
other at 20 paces, or you can retire from the field in disgrace.  :-)