Subject: ways of funding (was Re: Open letter to those who believe in a right to free software)
From: "Bradley M. Kuhn" <bkuhn@ebb.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 12:30:52 -0400

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>     Ben> Additionally free software allows the distribution of those
>     Ben> costs through a much wider audience than would otherwise be
>     Ben> the case.
>
> This is interesting.  How do those costs get distributed?  I am taking it
> that you mean more people actually pony up.  [...]  That [submitting
> patches] works for a while, but not after free software hits the majority
> of the market.  Then you need a silver bullet to get more resources.  What
> is it?

I don't know if these are the sort of "silver bullets" you are looking for
but what about community group funding based on need.  This is already being
done at:

http://www.cosource.com

And, there is another side to it, where *companies* (rather than
individuals) fund projects they need.  This is being done at

http://www.sourcexchange.com

--
         -  bkuhn@ebb.org  -  Bradley M. Kuhn  -  bkuhn@gnu.org  -
                          http://www.ebb.org/bkuhn