Subject: Re: Software quality: free vs. proprietary
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 06:15:28 +0900 (JST)

    Ben> "Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote: - Perl - Apache
    >> (CERN & NCSA httpd)

    Ben> Apache was a set of fixes to NCSA ... how can it have been
    Ben> chasing it?  Except up its own orifice, that is. In the end
    Ben> it became such a successful set of fixes that NCSA decided to
    Ben> stop playing.

Yes, exactly.  Isn't that how we plan to achieve World Domination (in
the sense of numbers, not control)?

If you want to insist that "taillight chasing" implies the taillights
are on the market leader (strictly speaking, it does) I'll have to
find another metaphor.

I guess the point is that in proprietary software calling something
"derivative" is an insult, but in free software, it's a high
compliment.  Whatever that might mean :-)