Subject: Re: ways of funding
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 00:49:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Bruce Perens wrote:
> From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net>
> > it's truly depressing how much reimplementation is going on.
>
> I don't find it depressing. Think of it as evolution in action.

I'm not saying that multiple choices are bad, not at all - I think the
rivalry between Linux and FreeBSD helps keep both interested in
innovating, for example.  But not all the diversity out there is due to
technical innovations; some of it is done out of ignorance.  I don't want
to try and point out specific instances, I just want to state that I don't
think open source is immune to the same kind of reuse problems that the
commercial software world has.  Though it's certainly a lot better about
it.

	Brian