Subject: Re: Open letter to those who believe in a right to free software
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 19:11:24 +0900 (JST)

>>>>> "rms" == Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

    This is extremely unfair to people like myself who practice
    neoclassical economics for its scientific rigor and explanatory power

    rms> Economics can at best explain the behavior of people that are
    rms> motivated mainly by the kinds of concerns that economics
    rms> deals with.

Which is all goals and values that motivate human behavior, including
not wanting to be dominated or promoting free software.

It is true that these are rather different from the conventionally
posited goals of profit maximization and consumption of commodities.
It is true that since you are lexicographic in freedom, your utility
function is not continuous.

I, and economics, can deal with that.  I just did in a very abstract
way.  Being more concrete requires building lots of new analytical
infrastructure, true.  A lot like building GNU.

Your claim that I cannot simply means you do not understand what
economics is about.