Subject: Re: Open letter to those who believe in a right to free software
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 28 Oct 1999 12:58:46 -0400

   From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
   Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 16:12:16 +0900 (JST)

   Ian: do you have any objection to adding people to our private thread
   as CCs if they so request?

No, I don't.

       Ian> That's a great power, and in particular it means that an
       Ian> individual free software author has more power than a
       Ian> significant number of proprietary software developers.  If
       Ian> you want to capture the incentives to write free software,
       Ian> don't neglect the heady feeling of knowing that thousands of
       Ian> people are using your work, and that it will live on apart
       Ian> from you.

   Do you think that Bill Gates doesn't share that heady feeling?

Sure, but he had to work much much harder to get there.

Admittedly, employees at Microsoft do not have to work all that hard.

And let's not forget the oft-quoted but reasonably plausible statistic
that 90% of programmers work on in-house projects with a severely
limited user base.

Ian