Subject: Re: Open letter to those who believe in a right to free software
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 18:39:21 +0900 (JST)

>>>>> "rms" == Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

    The question, AFAICT, was not "did anyone set out to create free
    software for moral reasons?"  It was "absent moral reasons, would
    _any_ free software exist?"

    rms> That is not the question I thought we were discussing.

It is the one I thought we were discussing.

    rms> I am sure some free software would exist without moral
    rms> reasons, but I don't think a complete free system would exist
    rms> without moral reasons.

That's a reasonable position.  I'm not qualified to argue with it,
beyond noting that I hardly consider it impossible.