Subject: Re: Open letter to those who believe in a right to free software
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 18:42:02 +0900 (JST)

>>>>> "rms" == Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

    Which is all goals and values that motivate human behavior, including
    not wanting to be dominated or promoting free software.

    rms> You seem to be relabeling sociology, psychology, political
    rms> science and ethics as part of economics.  I don't think that
    rms> is a good idea; I will continue to distinguish them from
    rms> economics.

No.  The distinction between knowing _what_ people like (what
economics needs) and _why_ they like it (what economics is incompetent
to explain) is valid.

    rms> But that just puts the hard part of the issue into figuring
    rms> out the preference function.

Not hard at all.  Trivial, in fact.

Measure it.