Subject: Re: Caldera
From: "Patrick D'Cruze" <pdcruze@li.org>
Date: Tue, 02 May 1995 14:06:19 +0800

The Caldera people would be the best ones to answer many of your questions,
however I'll chip in with what little I know.

> That's even worse.  It seems like they will have a hard time getting
> developers to care.  IBM can't do it for OS/2 and they have a much larger
> (and much richer) installed base.  Good luck getting Microsoft Office
> ported to Caldera.

There is some confusion regarding the Willows WAPI library (which
will do the Microsoft Windows emulation).  From reading through Willows
Web pages, it seems that the product is solely a WAPI (Windows API for
Unix, OS/2, Mac, etc).  And the indication is that Windows software will
need a simple recompile and then become available for users to use
(provided they have the Willows library).  However, Willows hinted at
(but didn't explain it very well) but I believe it will also run Windows
apps without a recompile.  Reportedly, Willows Software was going to
demonstrate the library and talk about it at the California Linux User
Group and apparently Microsoft Excel and Word have already been tested
and are running (successfully) using the library and the binary loader.

So it seems to be more of a WABI type product and if you compile against
the libraries, you have WAPI for Unix.  I wish Willows would clarify all of
this though and make it a bit clearer on their web pages (as well as
Caldera's web pages) - or perhaps I'm just a bit dense.

> 1) A free OS is not worth much, especially when the other vendors are
> cutting prices to get market share.  I know of a once die-hard Unix shop
> that is going with Win3.11 and NT3.5 because a free Unix with source code
> did not outweigh the availability of Access, Visual Basic, and low-cost
> industrial-strength relational database technology.

Well this is where the Caldera Desktop OS (CDOS) would be perfect.  It
should have all the benefits of Unix as well as the ability to run
Windows, Mac and DOS software.  What more could you want?

> 2) The Caldera advantage has a lot of "if"'s.  The one about convincing
> software vendors to support it seems almost intractable.  How will they
> attack that one?

Reportedly, they've been doing this for some time.  [These are all third-party
reports mind you] but apparently they've begun contacting small and large
software developers about porting their software to Linux and many have
been interested in doing so.  I think one of the Caldera guys commented that
he was surprised to learn that many software products had already been
ported to Linux but management had decided not to release and sell the
products.  Hopefully this will change soon.

Regards,
Patrick D'Cruze
pdcruze@mail.li.org