Subject: Re: Open letter to those who believe in a right to free software
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 19:38:33 +0900 (JST)

>>>>> "rms" == Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

    [SJT writes:]

    Richard and I have debated exactly this issue of the applicability of
    economics, in exactly these terms, in public and in private, before.

    He knows better.

    rms> I stand by what I wrote, and I think you owe me an apology
    rms> for saying in public that I did not mean it seriously.

You've gone to that well once too often, Richard.

I refuse.  In fact, I believe that you owe me the apology, for this
persistent ad hominem attack.

You do know very well that I honestly believe that I can produce
exactly the model I have discussed (you mentioned that), and you have
had the methods I plan to use described to you.  All you can produce
as a counterargument is "[RMS says] it's impossible."

You are asking an expert in the field not to conduct an analysis
because you, a layman, thinks it can't be done.  (That may be
generous; it is clear that you think it shouldn't be done, whether it
can be done or not, which possibly affects your judgement.)  In the
end, my expert opinion may turn out to be no better than your layman's
intuition.

But it is pure hubris on the layman's part to say it can't be done
before seeing the model, and clearly FUD for you to defend that hubris
by asking for an apology.

      But when he writes that economic analysis _cannot_ deal
    with broader issues, without reference to any proposed model,

				  it is FUD

    rms> When you make an outrageous statement, people do not have an
    rms> obligation to read all the details before they say so.

"Outrageous"?  More FUD.  Clearly many in this forum do not believe
so.  Some of them are strong supporters of other aspects of your
position.