Subject: Re: Open letter to those who believe in a right to free software
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 16:28:34 -0700 (MST)

    You do know very well that I honestly believe that I can produce
    exactly the model I have discussed (you mentioned that), and you have
    had the methods I plan to use described to you.

I believe you honestly disagree with me; I think you should give me
the same respect.  Statements like "RMS knows better" deny me this
respect.

    But it is pure hubris on the layman's part to say it can't be done
    before seeing the model,

I have stated relevant factors whose very relevance you declined to
recognize.  If you don't recognize them, your model won't recognize
them either--I don't have to read it to know that.

But even if you did recognize them, I am sure you could not model
them, because modelling them would mean modelling the thought
processes of a person, and of a whole society.  If you could do that,
it would be the greatest intellectual achievement of all time,
and I think we would be finding out about it elsewhere.

			     and clearly FUD for you to defend that hubris
    by asking for an apology.

I asked for an apology for a condescending personal statement.  I
believe I am entitled to that, regardless of the arguments on either
side of the issue.

	rms> When you make an outrageous statement, people do not have an
	rms> obligation to read all the details before they say so.

    "Outrageous"?  More FUD.

I've stated the reasons why that claim is outrageous
in other messages.