Subject: Re: Open letter to those who believe in a right to free software
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 12:57:36 +0900 (JST)

    Tim> Bruce Perens wrote:

I seem to have missed this message.  (I had a mail failure for about
18 hours yestarday, so if it's recent that may be why.)

    >> Can't you take this somewhere else than FSB? I've been skipping
    >> your messages for a while now, but they seem to have become a
    >> majority of the list traffic.  It would be nice if we could
    >> return to discussions of free software business here.

I'd be happy to take it elsewhere if I knew where else to take it;
I recognize that it's at best marginally on topic (I think the results
of my research, reported as an abstract with a pointer to the full
report certainly would be on topic, but actually conducting the
research online may not be).  Still there are a fair number of others
who feel that it is of interest, and are participating.

This is precisely the right group for me to discuss my concerns with.
I recognize that doesn't make it on-topic, and I've been sensitive
(tried to be anyway) to the interests of the members.

In fact, this is the first request I've had to stop or slow posting,
public or private, while I have receive at least 3 or 4 private
messages from lurkers encouraging me to continue (although from what
motive I can't say; some do seem to hope for a definitive settlement
of the "What is free software?" debate, and as Tim wrote, that's not a
good thing to try for).

    Tim> Stephen, I would certainly encourage you to keep posting to
    Tim> the list.  I found your initial postings in this thread to be
    Tim> among the best the list has produced, and while I agree that
    Tim> the debate has gotten long, don't go from feast to famine.
    Tim> Moderate but don't stop.

That is my intention.