Subject: Re: Open letter to those who believe in a right to free software
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 14:55:16 +0900 (JST)

Given that the sense of several members of the list is that this is an
inappropriate place for the discussion of the philosophical
foundations of the science of economics, I'm going to take this
to private mail.

Copies on request/add to CC on request.

	rms> But when alternatives arise rarely, it is hard to measure a
	rms> probability or assign a utility function empirically.  The
	rms> data is not good enough to support one.

    The ones we're interested in on FSB arise every day, when people walk
    into the computer shop and out with a CD-ROM or go back to the same
    old job.

    rms> These situations do not arise every day for any given
    rms> individual.  There are probably few people for whom they
    rms> arise frequently.