Subject: Re: ways of funding
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 16:51:31 +0900 (JST)

    Craig> You notion of "software wealth" is becoming more and more
    Craig> suspect

Not "more."  You never trusted it at all.  Nothing wrong with that;
it's not natural, and it's not perfect.  But you evidently don't
intend to try to understand on its own terms, nor will you make your
own terms explicit, so that I can try to improve my model by
understanding and accounting for them.

Some of your criticisms are valid, in particular the ones about
modeling quality.  As it turns out, none of the ones you've presented
so far are new to me.  But I don't know what else to do but make some
assumption and start building a model, and you have yet to offer a
single suggestion for improving the model that I'm starting with.  Or
an alternative I can do analysis with.

Others of your criticisms are totally bogus, like the alleged bias
toward large corporations.  Any sensible analysis will divide product
by size when comparing efficiencies.  If with all the bloat you claim
is in those large corporations, dividing by size still gives them an
unfair advantage, something is terribly wrong with the smaller firms.

I'm getting no profit from this, and I doubt the list is.  I'm not
going to expend any more effort on it until you start coming up with
constructive criticism.