Subject: Re: ways of funding
From: Ben_Tilly@trepp.com
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 09:07:21 -0500

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Let's put it this way.  Would you dare use a VHLL that simply
> downloaded a bunch of modules from CPAN and copied them into a big
> script with some glue code you write, without looking at the code for
> each module you hadn't looked at recently?  But that's exactly what
> you do with libc, isn't it?  When was the last time in the course of
> _building an application_ that you looked at libc code?  Or built a
> substitute for an unusably buggy libc function?

That is a bogus comparison and you know it.

CPAN is a repository.  I won't trust every last module in there - that
would be crazy.  But I will go on record saying that I can and do trust the
portion of CPAN shipped as a standard library.  And I do trust large chunks
that I know are widely used.  (eg DBI, CGI, the LWP stuff, etc.)  And I
trust that without looking at the code.

Regards,
Ben