Subject: Re: Red Hat and Cygnus unify
From: DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 10:11:57 -0500

It's a sad day when the employees of a company have to read a public
forum to learn about what's going on in their own companies.  This is
the first I'd heard about this (aside from the "rumor" on Slashdot),
and since it's being announced in this forum, I'm replying in this
forum (trying to keep my focus on the relevence to this forum, of
course).

> we have amicably and willingly signed a definitive agreement to
> merge.

Sigh.  What happened to the "good old days" when companies had pride
in their success, and fought to retain their independence?  Is this a
sign that neither Cygnus nor Red Hat feel that they were being
successful enough?  That, in the long run, money is more important
than corporate morals, goals, and identity?  Is it the goal of all
companies, fsbs or otherwise, to merge into the biggest conglomerates
they can?

> To say that we are excited about the possibilities is the
> understatement of the decade.

I would replace "excited" with "concerned" myself.  I think smaller
companies can maintain focus better, will retain their links with the
free software community better, and in general be more in tune with
their corporate health.  I've worked for large companies, and I felt
they couldn't even keep track of their own factions, let alone the
outside community.

> We believe that by enabling developers from both companies to work
> together more closely, with a common and larger purpose, we can
> drive the open source revolution faster and further than otherwise
> would be possible.

Is that a good thing?  I didn't realize we were in such a hurry to
overturn the world order.  The free software movement has been about
people doing the job right, not doing it quickly.  We see what happens
when companies (MS) push for speedy delivery instead of quality work.
Is this the fate of free software also?