Subject: Re: Open letter to those who believe in a right to free software
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 11:43:30 +0900 (JST)

>>>>> "rms" == Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

    rms> Since there is no other reason to bring Galileo into the
    rms> story, it should not have been done.

Let me make it explicit that an invidious comparison was intended.  I
am sorry that you cannot see that the difference in methods is
inessential to the analogy as used, but since the intended analogy, of
your end to the Pope's ends, is accurate, and I am sure everyone is
aware that your methods are different from the Pope's, I see no harm
done.

You hope to suppress research, just as the Pope did.  The Pope's
methods were, as already acknowledged several times, more forceful.
But the end intended was equally ignoble, although in both cases
accompanied by the best of intentions to promote the greater good of
all.

It is important that you fail in this attempt.  Thus the strong words.

These are my last on this topic.  You may have the final summary if
you wish.

-