Subject: Re: Code acceptance policies/contracts?
From: Mark Shewmaker <mark@primefactor.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 03:43:24 -0500

On Tue, Nov 16, 1999 at 07:59:35AM +0000, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> Mark Shewmaker wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 15, 1999 at 08:38:18AM +0000, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > > as GPL and BSD which don't have patent and trademark specific language
> >
> > >From the GPL:
>
> Interesting.  So if a company distributes GPLd software without granting
> patent rights, it's committed copyright violation in the act of
> distributing any source for which it itself isn't the copyright holder?
> I think this is what I'm reading.  You?

Thank you.  Yes, that is my understanding as well.  (And a much clearer
way of putting it than what I had said, and have deleted from the quoting.)

One note to clear up an error in my previous message:  Of the two
paragraphs I quoted from the GPL, the first is from the Preamble,
and the second is from paragraph 7.  The way I put them together made
it look as if they were right after one another in the license.

My IANAL interpretation is that the patent license that must be granted
need not grant any rights for use outside of GPL'd or GPL-compatible
code.  I assume that the Preamble's "any patent must be licensed for
everyone's free use" phrase isn't intended to force patent-holders
to abandon their patents entirely.

 -Mark Shewmaker
  mark@primefactor.com