Subject: A downstream funding model (was Re: The merger: a user's perspective)
From: "Bradley M. Kuhn" <bkuhn@ebb.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 01:47:18 -0500

Ben_Tilly@trepp.com wrote:

> > who is struggling to make a career writing, supporting and documenting free
> > software.  Not having the time nor the energy to start my own company, I
> > have been closely watching all the free software companies and who I might
> > like to try to get a job with in the next year.

> Would there be interest in having a non-profit organization that worked
> like this?  You donate to the organization and name a free software
> developer as the recipient of the donation.  That developer gets a portion
> of the money donated and designates how the remaining share is to be
> divided.  The division would be pre-set by the organization, for instance
> in a month you get the first $50 donated to you, half of the next $200,
> 1/3 of the next $750, and 1/ of anything over a thousand dollars a month.
> The money passed on has to go to people who are making less than you.  The
> idea being that you could donate to (for instance) Linus and be assured
> that the money would be spread somewhat fairly through the entire.  I have
> some friends who are lawyers and they think that this kind of scheme
> should legally fly and (at least in the US) be eligible for charitable
> status under tax laws.

It sort of reads like a pyramid scheme, though.  :)

But, I do see what you are saying---you'd use the fact that great hackers
would know who the other lesser known good hackers are.

I'd say go for it.  But, as I said, I am not in the position to start a
company (or a non-profit).

Another option might be to approach the FSF or a similar organization and
see if they are interested in this sort of setup as part of what they do.

--
         -  bkuhn@ebb.org  -  Bradley M. Kuhn  -  bkuhn@gnu.org  -
                          http://www.ebb.org/bkuhn