Subject: Re: The merger: a beginner's perspective
From: Marco Grigull <mark@cyber.com.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 11:24:06 +1100 (EST)

I have a beginners mind in relation to FSBs

I see this merge as a good thing because it shows growth, change and
adaptation, which is what life is all about.  This merge seems to worry a
few because of the possible loss of contributions to the open source
community.

I look at companies that have been proprietary for many years, and their
approach to OS.  SGI, for instance, have open APIs such openGL, allowing
their competiters to compete with them in the graphics market,  at the
same time generating interest from others as awell as dominating the
arena.  Their isn't an opensource directX, because (I presume) that MS has
locked up the specs somewhere, outside of competitors reach.  Mesa3d has
a lot of interest, as it fills the gap.

Even though giving away
software seems kamakazial, it creates good intent.  The companies of
tommorrow, I see as providing technical support, and third party support
(supporting products not written by them) as the major revenue.

I dont see a problem with proprietary enchanced versions of software that
have an open version, as long as the APIs remain open.  One hacker wanting
the extra functionality will write a GPLed version, bringing down the
effectivity of the commercial products.  Waste of effort?...Maybe

I see the same problems plaguing the hardware world.  Take the firewire
for example.  Apple would like this standard to domminate, yet they want
to charge everybody for it.  It stinks, though there are already efforts
underway to create a compatible system which doesn't owe royalties to
apple.  Maenwhile, we (or at least I) don't think much of apple.

It took a year for creative labs to realise that they can't capitolise on
linux, no matter how harder gaming junkies we may be.  Their SBlive wasn't
popular, because no-one could use it.  They gave in three weeks ago, and
released GPL.  A competitor, aureal3d, must have felt the urge to jump on
the bandwagon and not be left behind.

The open source mentality will cut into every market this way.  The
drivers of this wagon are not bound to people, but the concept of open
source. Anything in the way of the wagon just gets run over, left in the
dust.

Enough of my rambling, and I see no need to worry about what RedHat and
Cygnus are doing, because in their interests, they will always want to do
the right thing.

Marco

   Marco Grigull  <mark@cyber.com.au> Cybersource Pty. Ltd.
+61 3 9642 5997 Level 8, 140 Queen Street, Melbourne Australia