Subject: Re: The merger: a user's perspective
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 13:32:28 +0900 (JST)

    Bradley> I sure hope it does.  It just seems to me too early for
    Bradley> us to see the precious few companies that have any (even
    Bradley> partial) corporate dedication to freedom merging right
    Bradley> now.

Well, I admit I approve of decentralization and competition on
economic grounds.  But from the point of view of promiting freedom,
are you sure companies are the right thing to count?  Shouldn't we
count developers, and projects?

What Bob Young and Michael Tiemann are claiming is that the merger
will help them support more developers (not _employees_) and more
projects.

DJ Delorie says he's worried that that won't happen.

I think that's the relevant debate, not whether the count of free
software firms goes up or down.

BTW, I suspect that Bill Joy at Sun (somewhat speciously) and Jonathan
Shapiro at IBM (with IMHO somewhat better grounds) will be upset to
hear you excluding their firms from the group with "partial corporate
dedication" to free software, as small and fragile as that part might
be.