Subject: Definitive list of free software companies? (was Re: Who holds the copyright? (was Re: The merger: a user's perspective))
From: "Bradley M. Kuhn" <bkuhn@ebb.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 08:25:18 -0500

Russell Nelson wrote:
> Bradley M. Kuhn writes:
>  > Russell Nelson wrote:
>  > > Bradley M. Kuhn writes:
>  > >  > This is worse case scenario, of course.  I am not saying it is *going* to
>  > >  > happen, just that it *could*, and is more likely than before.
>  >
>  > > And you could get hit by a meteorite tomorrow.  It's more likely than
>  > > ever in the last 32 years.  Start worrying now, avoid the rush!!  Sheesh!
>  >
>  > This is a silly argument.  Things *are* changing in the free software world
>  > if free software businesses start gobbling each other up.
>  >
>  > This is something to be concerned about.

> Nahhhh.  If all the free software businesses closed, yes, it would set
> free software back.  But only by a couple of years, and it's not going
> to happen like that.  For every free software business that feels it
> needs to switch to proprietary software, another will be created to
> fill the gap.

I hope you are right!  Perhaps we should use this list to track the openings
of these free software businesses.  I'd like to hear if anyone has a
definitive list of companies whose work is primarily the creation, support
and documentation of free software.

--
         -  bkuhn@ebb.org  -  Bradley M. Kuhn  -  bkuhn@gnu.org  -
                          http://www.ebb.org/bkuhn