Subject: Re: The merger: a user's perspective
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 11:54:14 +0900 (JST)

    Ian> I think there are more fundamental ethical issues in the case
    Ian> of slavery,

Of course.  Can we stop using slavery as an analogy, then?  It is
irrelevant to FSB.  Even RMS is unable to make it fly.

    Ian> and in the case of the environment.

Arguable.  If you give up private property in land, then there are
fundamental ethical differences between environmental issues and
property issues.  Henry George, anyone?

Otherwise it's just a matter of sorting out the precedence of various
property rights, including those of _mine_ that may be violated by
external effects of you exercising _yours_.  But they're all on the
same ethical level, and precedence may be affected by context, unlike
the free vs. property issue inherent in slavery.