Subject: Re: Who holds the copyright? (was Re: The merger: a user's perspective)
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 12:07:55 +0900 (JST)

    Stan> As far as I can tell, [proprietary X servers are] not that
    Stan> much used, and the bulk of the attention seems to be focused
    Stan> on new versions of XFree86.  It would be interesting to
    Stan> delve into that story further though, see if the existence
    Stan> of the proprietary fork hinders or helps the development of
    Stan> X servers for Linux.

They are heavily used in Japan, because the most popular chips for
notebooks were proprietary (RIVA).  Most Japanese commercial linux
distributions include one or more of the proprietary servers.

Pressure on the chip companies was intense, and in general some
support for their products has been integrated into XFree86.  But this
leaves Metro-X and Accelerated X with a strong foothold here.

I don't know whether this competition helped or hindered XFree86, though.