Subject: FSB == Loss Leader Marketing?
From: sds@jazzie.com (Sean Shapira)
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 1995 16:46:12 -0700 (PDT)

Peter wrote:
> a "loss leader" is a good tactic for attracting customers
> for other, profitable items.  The big company may actually
> make *more* money overall by selling some of its products
> below cost.

In fact, aren't many (most?) free-software businesses, by
giving away a "lite" product to increase sales of a "pro"
version, using loss leader marketing tactics?  Or perhaps
freely distributing "sample" software to promote their
(for hire) software development skills?

It seems to me small businesses have more to gain than do
large, well-established corporations from this (at first
counter-intuitive) tactic....

--
Sean Shapira         sds@jazzie.com         +1 206 443 2028
               Serving the Net since 1990.