Subject: Free documentation model (was Re: The merger: a user's perspective)
From: "Bradley M. Kuhn" <bkuhn@ebb.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 09:08:10 -0500

Tim O'Reilly wrote:
> We certainly would consider hiring someone with the right credentials to
> do this.
[...]
>  there might well be enough projects that meet both criteria to make
> that a writer's full time focus for us.

Do you have job descriptions in mind that'd you hire people for?  If so,
would you mind submitting them to job-page@gnu.org?

> (Re completely free books--we've recently released our Samba book under
> those terms, and are working with the Samba team on integrating our
> efforts with theirs so that this is the official doc; we are doing the
> same with a book on Gnome, and are coordinating with Miguel; we also put
> out the Learning Debian book under these terms

This is great news!

> We have a couple of other projects like this in the queue as well.  But
> unless these books surprise us by:
>
> a) being substantially more successful than we would expect if they were
> non-free
> b) show benefits from substantial community involvement that makes them
> better or faster than would be the case if they were non-free)

What about releasing old editions and books that have gone down on their
sale curve.  I am guessing (I don't know the business, I admit) that sales
are high at first and have some sort of decline.  Could you pick a moment
when the decline appears to be low enough and release the books as free?

--
         -  bkuhn@ebb.org  -  Bradley M. Kuhn  -  bkuhn@gnu.org  -
                          http://www.ebb.org/bkuhn