Subject: Re: Free software jobs for candidates (was Re: The merger: a user's perspective)
From: Ben_Tilly@trepp.com
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 09:54:07 -0500

 Fri, 19 Nov 1999 09:54:07 -0500

> Ben Tilly@trepp.com wrote:

[...]
> > What is your definition?  That there exist full-time jobs in the company
> > working only on free software?
>
> Yes, that's the definition I'd be using, and the one used at
> http://www.gnu.org/jobs.
>
> > This is a generous definition and holds true at many proprietary
> > companies.  For instance Bob Young mentioned in a speech I heard that SAP
> > has engineers working full-time on resolving issues with Linux that cause
> > SAP performance problems..
>
> However, do these developers need to touch the SAP or other proprietary
> code?

I don't know.  All that I know is what was mentioned above.  Bob Young
might have more details, and may also be able to give examples of (for
instance) hardware companies looking for drivers.

> > Jeremy Allison, number two on the Samba list is a full-time employee of
> > SGI - his job is to work on Samba.  Many other examples exist.
>
> Great!  But are they hiring?  I am looking to make a list (perhaps through
> http://www.gnu.org/jobs, which I maintain for the FSF anyway) that shows
> potential candidates who want to work only with free software where to send
> their résumés and not get laughed at.  They need not be hiring at the
> moment, but be companies that are growing and may have needs a few times a
> year.

Ask Jeremy Allison.  I doubt it, but I think that there are other openings
out there.

[...]
> > The most ironical example that comes to mind is ActiveState.  (They
> > maintain the standard Win32 version of Perl.  The irony should be
> > apparent.:-)
>
> ActiveState has jobs where people work only on free software.  I *think*
> Sarathy is in such a position, but I may be incorrect.  However,  I don't
> think they are hiring.

They have been making hires, but not off the street.  See below

[...]
> > But one point comes to mind.  While these companies exist, would guess
> > that by and large they are hiring off the street.  Many of them move
> > employees into that role, but they are not actively hiring for that type
> > of position.
>
> That's unfortunate, and not what I am talking about here.  I want it so that
> candidates (say, a veteran hacker who just discovered free software, or a new
> graduate who doesn't want to enter the proprietary software world at all)
> have a list of companies to send their résumés to.

Many companies that have such jobs will not fill them this way, and do not
need to.  Consider ActiveState.  They have made several hires.  But who
have they hired?  People who were already working on the software in
question!  By doing this they guarantee that their new hire is competent,
won't have a learning curve, will fit in to the community, etc.  For the
pure free software development jobs, I don't think that this is unusual.
Therefore rather than listing by company who is hiring to work on free
software it might be much more useful to identify by project, people who
have been hired.

Cheers,
Ben