Subject: Re: Who holds the copyright?
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 14:56:41 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Brian Bartholomew wrote:
> If I understand qmail correctly, it's
> an example of an libre version orphaned by the vendor, with no
> corresponding proprietary version.  So it's different than the
> situation I was talking about.

Qmail is neither free software nor open source software.  End-users have
the right to redistribute only the very same tarball they pulled down from
DJB's FTP site.  There are bundles of patches which may qualify as a
"version" after applied, but as far as I know no commercial vendor ships a
qmail-based product.  Although, several of the very large email hosting
companies out there do host their services on top of a qmail base.

	Brian