Subject: Re: The merger: a user's perspective
From: skud@netizen.com.au
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 21:14:04 +1100

Ben writes:

>But one point comes to mind.  While these companies exist, would guess that
>by and large they are hiring off the street.  Many of them move employees
>into that role, but they are not actively hiring for that type of position.

In our case, we mostly hire through the local grapevine, or through
advertisements with local free software/open source user groups (eg
LUGs).  The wider we post our advertisements, the more MS Word documents
we get from MCSEs, so we've taken to mostly doing word of mouth.  I
suppose we're also in a slightly unusual position because of our
geographical location; there's not much point us posting the the GNU
jobs page, for example, because we're only really interested in hiring
Australians (or those with permanent residence status) at the moment.

I think there are quite a lot of free software jobs around, in fact.  I
know for a fact that there are probably a dozen jobs which involve
entirely, or at least mostly, free software just in Melbourne,
Australia, at the moment.  Of course, most of them aren't advertised...
it's all word of mouth.

One of my friends in the local free software business scene has been
trying to encourage me to advertise our company's job openings in the
mainstream press, in order that the popularity of free/open source
software become more apparent to those reading the local computer press.
In some ways I'd like to, but it costs money and I don't think it would
gain us much more.

K.

--
Kirrily 'Skud' Robert - skud@netizen.com.au - http://netizen.com.au/
But this *is* the simplified version for the general public!