Subject: Re: FSB == Loss Leader Marketing?
From: nelson@crynwr.com (Russell Nelson)
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 95 22:16 EDT

   From: sds@jazzie.com (Sean Shapira)
   Date: Tue, 27 Jun 1995 16:46:12 -0700 (PDT)

   Peter wrote:
   > a "loss leader" is a good tactic for attracting customers
   > for other, profitable items.  The big company may actually
   > make *more* money overall by selling some of its products
   > below cost.

   In fact, aren't many (most?) free-software businesses, by
   giving away a "lite" product to increase sales of a "pro"
   version, using loss leader marketing tactics?  Or perhaps
   freely distributing "sample" software to promote their
   (for hire) software development skills?

Or, as a retired professor put it "You give away your software to
create a demand for your services."  I think that's an interesting
perspective.

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>    http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | ask4 PGP key