Subject: Re: Who holds the copyright?
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen Sitaker)
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 12:53:29 -0500 (EST)

Jonathan Shapiro writes:
> You are correct, and I beg your pardon for using the wrong term.  I cannot
> now recall the right term, but the upshot is that unless the contract
> explicitly makes other provisions, the intellectual property created under
> a contract is owned by the party who pays for the contract.

I do not believe this is correct, although I am not an expert on
copyright.  See for example Effects Associates v. Cohen, 908 F.2d 555
(9th Cir., 1990).  See also
ftp://ftp.aimnet.com/pub/users/carroll/law/copyright/faq/part3

For the authoritative reference, see 17 U.S.C. section 201,

The Internet stock bubble didn't burst on 1999-11-08.  Hurrah!