Subject: Re: Be and free software
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 23 Nov 1999 14:22:22 -0500

   From: shapj@us.ibm.com
   Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 13:29:01 -0500

   I'm not clear to me that the resulting code is "free", but this has nothing
   to do with Cygnus's role in the relationship.  The problem that concerns me
   is that the client company may never redistribute the code at all, but has
   nonetheless obtained benefit from the work of the community. I don't feel
   strongly enough about it in this case to worry much, but it does strike me
   as undesirable.

I don't see why this is any different from any other company which
uses free software without contributing to it, certainly a common
enough situation.  More specifically, I don't see why this is any
different from a company which enhances free software without
distributing the result.

In fact, the only real difference is a positive one; Cygnus doesn't
(or at least didn't) write unbounded NDAs.  Eventually the code, paid
for by the client company, will become part of GNU gcc.

Ian