Subject: Re: Be and free software
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen Sitaker)
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 14:25:45 -0500 (EST)

Jonathan Shapiro wrote:
> A client company X paying company Y to do the work can certainly agree to
> the points you describe above. [company Y retaining copyright]
>
> In the absence of specific agreement to these points, the resulting
> copyright is owned by the client company, not by company Y.

You said this yesterday; I think you are mistaken.  Perhaps you missed
my response message, because you did not reply to it:

	I do not believe this is correct, although I am not an expert
	on copyright.  See for example Effects Associates v. Cohen, 908
	F.2d 555 (9th Cir., 1990).  See also
	ftp://ftp.aimnet.com/pub/users/carroll/law/copyright/faq/part3

	For the authoritative reference, see 17 U.S.C. section 201,

The Internet stock bubble didn't burst on 1999-11-08.  Hurrah!