Subject: Re: Be and free software
From: Stan Shebs <shebs@cygnus.com>
Date: 23 Nov 1999 15:21:16 -0800

Ben_Tilly@trepp.com writes:

> An example showing the former to be problematical is the one just discussed
> where Cygnus does piece-work for a chip company to create for them modified
> GPLed software (eg a port of gcc).  The copyright on the modifications is
> now owned by the chip company, who also has the source-code.

Whoa whoa whoa.  I wouldn't normally discuss the details of Cygnus
contracts in public, but let me hasten to assure you, there is a very
explicit clause guaranteeing that Cygnus can assign GNU code over to
the FSF.  A good thing too, considering the now-substantial percentage
of GNU that was originally written by Cygnus under contract!

								Stan