Subject: Re: Back to business [was: the Be thread]
From: Crispin Cowan <crispin@cse.ogi.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 18:41:34 +0000

"Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote:

> I don't presume a closely integrated team, though.  One of my
> hypotheses about the success of the Linux kernel is that high levels
> of modularization made it possible to explicitly delegate "core" parts
> of the kernel to single trusted individuals, and also to implicitly
> delegate lots of stuff that no single maintainer could possibly deal
> with the whole range (drivers, including whole subsystems like IrDA)
> to Anonymous Contributors.

I think my main point is that this approach does not work for compilers.  In
theory, the stages of a compiler pipeline can be strongly isolated so that
they can be worked on separately.  In practice, they end up heavily
intertwined, making a weakly integrated team problematic.

Crispin
-----
Crispin Cowan, CTO, WireX Communications, Inc.    http://wirex.com
Free Hardened Linux Distribution:                 http://immunix.org