Subject: Re: Be and free software
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 09:38:34 +0900 (JST)

    >> the "free" in free software business means is simply whether
    >> other people are free to compete with you using the same
    >> software.

    Bob> I vote to require anyone posting to this list to use that
    Bob> definition exclusively in any debate on this list.  It would
    Bob> bring this list back to its original purpose.

This is an interesting property, possibly[1] the crucial one from a
strategic standpoint, of free software business, but not its
definition.

Visual Basic programmers are free to compete with each other using the
same Visual Basic runtime and GUI/OS subsystems, no?  Need conditions
on the license to exclude _them_.

Footnotes:
[1]  I favor the more general "renounces license restrictions as a
source of revenue"---in theory you can license your competitors.  In
practice, too:  patent pools.