Subject: [comp.sys.sgi.apps] Re: graphics on a Linux box from SGI Indigo
From: Michael Tiemann <tiemann@cygnus.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 08:54:47 -0700

It has long been presumed that proprietary hardware vendors would never
open their specs up to free software platforms.  While OpenGL is a
proprietary library, the fact that it runs on Linux means that we're one
step closer to being able to run full-powered software on full-powered
hardware.  If/when you can get Mesa (a free OpenGL) on Martin Marietta's
Real3D (1/2 an SGI Impact at 1/10th the price), things will really get
interesting in the world of virtual reality!