Subject: Re: purchasing power of the smaller set within buisness (was Re: Support as insurance)
From: Bob Young <bob@redhat.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 11:39:17 -0500

> Bob has a very good point here.  However, I think it applies most to the
> *macro* level of business, but not the *micro* level.  I am talking about
> small-time purchases---not corporate-wide "we are a Microsoft shop"
> decisions, but small divisions who need to get a job done.

This is partially right.  My point is very general.  For each product
there are specific amounts of detail your customer has any interest
in knowing.  This amount of detail is a subset of the total knowledge
that you have (or should have) of your product and the alternatives
available in your market.

There is no such thing as a market for "software".  Or even a market
for operating systems.  These are too broad.  You have to figure out
which sub-section of the global marketplace, or which subsection of
a small local market, you or your product is best suited for.  This is
in marketing-speak "market segmentation".

Somewhat like chaos theory though, I've found that the marketing rules
that apply to Microsoft in their massive global markets, also apply to
small suppliers in their local markets.

Cheers,   Bob.

Phone 919-547-0012 x227			Fax   919-547-0027
P.O. Box 13588				email: bob@redhat.com
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709	http://www.redhat.com