Subject: Re: forking the list considered harmful (was Re: free software vs. open source)
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 14:52:01 -0500 (EST)

Tim O'Reilly writes:
 > Or Russ, you just said that you had a non-free product in the works.
 > How and why are you making the tradeoffs between your use of free
 > software and non-free software?  What factors lead you to make a
 > decision one way or the other, and how do you evaluate whether or not
 > you made the right decision?

The trouble is that the software is licensed to me.  I can't sell it
for less than $20 each.  And I'm supposed to maximize the income.
It's a DOS protocol decoder.  They wanted me to do a Windows port, but
I just couldn't see it.  Better to address the Linux market.  The only
thing is that products like Ethereal are better, and likely to get
more so.

I'm half tempted to drop the old code, and just start selling somebody
else's free software.  Keep the brand and lose the code.  :)