Subject: Re: Here's a-what I'm a-gonna do.
From: "Brian J. Fox" <bfox@datawave.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 21:13:50 -0700

   From: nelson@crynwr.com
   Date: 8 Jun 1996 03:42:57 -0000

   So, I guess I'm going into the hardware business.  I'm going to write
   the Linux driver as a kernel module, and resell their hardware.  My
   profit on writing the driver is going to come from reselling the
   hardware.  Only way I can see to do that without relying on the
   goodness of people's hearts, however, is to not use the GPL.

Well, you've said it quite well yourself, so I guess there isn't any
misunderstanding: "I'm going into the hardware business."

This is all well and good, but what I don't understand is why you feel
compelled to make the driver for this hardware proprietery.  If the
item you are writing a driver for is neat enough for me to want to buy
it, and you are charging the same as anyone else who is selling it,
I'll buy it from you, because I know that you are one in the best
position to deliver the newest and best driver for this product.

If somebody else makes this same piece of hardware in the future
(perhaps breaking some patent on the device?) they will almost
definitely come to you to make the driver for this hardware; after
all, you'll be the expert in this field, right?

I'm not getting on a high horse, because I've made both free and
proprietery software myself.  I just want to point out that if the
driver is proprietery, you are in the business of selling software
*and* hardware, not just hardware.

Brian